Bypassing a Netflix VPN Block is no easy feat. In fact, it is often used as a way to measure how powerful a VPN provider is, even though there are many factors. But, even with a valid subscription to Netflix, you are legally not allowed to stream content outside of the country where it was produced. This is not always true and depends on the contracts Netflix has signed. To overcome that hurdle, you must “pretend” you’re in that country. What better way than a Virtual Private Network? With that said, here’s how to bypass the Netflix VPN block.
How does the Netflix VPN block look?
When you try to access a movie or TV show, you’ll get the following message: Whoops, something went wrong… Proxy detected.
Why does Netflix ban VPNs?
As mentioned, it is their contractual obligation not to show content in countries in wasn’t licensed, sold, or streamed in. After all, it’s their goal to have as many subscribers, and they’re going against it by following rules. Essentially, they have to ban new IP addresses every single day, and VPNs have to keep renting or buying new servers and providing new ones.
Steps to bypass Netflix VPN block
- Purchase a subscription to a premium VPN provider. Free VPNs and proxy extensions like Hola VPN for Chrome are okay for some websites, but not for Netflix. Even if they somehow manage to bypass counter-measures, the IP address will soon be banned by Netflix.
- Our top picks to unblock Netflix are ExpressVPN, NordVPN, and CyberGhost.
Unblocking Netflix via ExpressVPN
We already taught you how to install a NordVPN extension for Chrome. To switch things up, let’s demonstrate bypassing the Netflix VPN block via ExpressVPN.
- Buy a subscription to ExpressVPN.
- Create an account after your payment details are confirmed.
- Download ExpressVPN for Windows.
With the same subscription, you can also download an app for Android, iOS, macOS, Linux, routers, etc.
- Install and launch the application.
- Enter the code you received in the e-mail when you created the account.
- Choose whether you want the app to start with Windows.
- Choose whether you want the app to send feedback to ExpressVPN.
- You will now see a large On/Off button, with Smart Location underneath.
- If you want to unblock Netflix US, click on Choose Location.
- Type the United States in the search bar, and click on the option that appears.
- Click on the On/Off button.
- After a few seconds, VPN is OFF will change to VPN is ON, and the button will be enveloped in a green shield.
- Open Netflix in your browser. If you can access the website, that’s a good sign.
- Login with your account details, and open content that was previously blocked.
- If it starts playing, congratulations!
- If it does not, it means the VPN block has bested your particular server/IP address. Simply turn the VPN off, choose a different server in the United States, and turn it back on. Do this until you succeed.
- If Netflix still doesn’t work after a few tries, which is very unlikely, contact ExpressVPN’s 24/7 customer service. They can tell you which servers are currently working with Netflix.