This guide offers complete solutions on how to uninstall Kerio VPN from your various devices. Sometimes uninstalling a program can be a bit of a chore. Especially when they leave behind temporary files and certain configurations and preferences. Normally it can still be ignored. But it can easily result in some weird malfunctions and errors. Kerio VPN is no doubt a product hailed by many for its seamless service. It just so happens that users face a few errors when trying to uninstall it from their devices.
Note — Kerio doesn’t have applications for Android and iOS platforms.
Reasons for uninstallation
People uninstall an application for many a reason. Some most common reasons associated with the removal of Kerio VPN are as follows:
- Incompatibility — Kerio VPN is a niche. As such, it often has compatibility issues (especially when running on Windows)
- Unexpected Errors — Kerio is infamous for getting corrupted regularly. It prompts unexpected errors.
- Not so User friendly — The Kerio VPN UI isn’t as user-friendly as the competition. It often comes across as bland and confusing.
- Suspicious — Sometimes some websites, and even users, seem to believe Kerio to be malware.
All in all, Kerio doesn’t provide all-around customer satisfaction when compared to its counterparts. Thus, users prefer to uninstall it and go for other services.
Common problems encountered while uninstalling
- Kerio VPN not showing on the Windows uninstall panel.
- Receiving error when trying to uninstall Kerio VPN.
- Uninstall feature unresponsive.
- The file required for uninstallation isn’t running.
- Don’t have sufficient administrative rights to uninstall Kerio VPN.
- Another program is using the VPN and you can’t uninstall the client.
- Even after removing the program, it is still running in the background.
- Files and folders related to Kerio VPN are still on your device after successful removal.
These are, amongst others, some of the few problems you encounter while trying to uninstall Kerio VPN from your device.
Simple steps to uninstall Kerio VPN from your Windows devices
Before we get into the steps needed for removing Kerio VPN, there are a couple of things you need to pay attention to.
- Make sure you have Administrative rights to the device.
- Ensure Kerio VPN isn’t running in the background.
- Go to the Task Manager (Ctrl + Alt + Del) and find Kerio VPN (if running).
- Select Kerio VPN and click on End task.
5 Easy methods for Windows OS to uninstall Kerio VPN
There are more, but for the sake of simplicity, let’s focus on the easy ones.
Method 1: Uninstall Kerio VPN via Apps & Features (Windows 8/8.1/10)/Programs & Features (Windows 7/Vista/XP)
- Open the Start Menu (press the Windows key on the keyboard) by clicking on it.
- Or right-click on the start menu and then click on setting.
- Find Settings, click on it and then click on App from the popup menu.
- For the older version right-click on the start menu and from the list select and open Programs & Features.
- On the new screen which popped up, find the Kerio VPN client.
- Click on the application and then click on uninstall to initiate the process.
- Confirm authorization if prompted.
- After successful removal, press Windows + R > regedit to run Windows Registry
- Search for and delete the related files.
- Check for HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\(Kerio Control VPN Client(64 bit) or the publisher’s name)\ to delete.
- Check for HKEY_LOCAL+MACHINE\SOFTWARE\(Kerio Control VPN Client(64 bit) or the publisher’s name)\ to delete.
- Search “Kerio Control VPN Client(64 bit) (or the publisher’s name)” to check.
Method 2: Uninstall Kerio VPN via uninstaller.exe
- Locate the folder where you installed Kerio VPN
- Open Start Menu and select Kerio VPN, then right-click and from the menu select Open File Location.
- Find a file named uninst000, Uninstall, or Uninstaller and click on it.
- Now the uninstall wizard setup is running. On the screen, click on uninstall.
- After the uninstallation, run the Windows registry by pressing Windows + R.
- Delete the leftover files (mentioned above).
- Restart your device.
Method 3: Uninstall Kerio VPN via Antivirus software
If you keep getting repeated error reports while trying to uninstall Kerio VPN, it is worthwhile to check if it’s malware. Nowadays, malware can easily infiltrate your device disguised as a computer application with the help of Trojan and spyware. So to be on the safe side, scan the Kerio VPN and remove it if it is recognized as malware.
Method 4: Uninstall Kerio VPN via Uninstall command in Registry
Windows save settings and information of all the apps installed in the Windows Registry. It also includes an uninstall command.
- Open the registry by, pressing Windows + R keys on the keyboard.
- In the box, write regedit and click on OK.
- Navigate the following registry key and find:
- Double-Click on UninstallString value, and copy its Value Data to the box.
- Click on OK and follow the wizard to successfully uninstall.
Method 5: Uninstall Kerio VPN via Third Party Application
This is the easiest and hassle-free method if you want to uninstall Kerio VPN. By using a third-party app, you can automatically uninstall any application from Windows devices with all its files and folders. There are a ton of apps you can use to do so like Uninstaller, Bloatware Uninstaller, Max Uninstaller, etc. For this article, I will be using Bloatware Uninstaller.
- First, install Bloatware uninstaller.
- Run Bloatware Uninstaller, it will automatically scan all the apps on your device.
- Select Kerio VPN from the list and click on Run Analysis.
- It will show all the files and folders associated with Kerio VPN.
- Now click on uninstall.
- After the Uninstall wizard finishes removing the software, click on remove leftovers and Kerio VPN will be removed completely.
Uninstall Kerio VPN from Mac
Applications on Mac are a lot different from Windows. They are mostly self-contained. That’s why it is easier to uninstall any application from Mac. As they are all bundled together, all the user needs to do is drag it to the trash bin, and it’s done! However, it is a fact that even stand lone application sometimes level behind some configuration files. Case in point, Kerio VPN creates files in multiple locations, that’s why even if you remove the application, some files may be left untouched. Thus, follow the steps mentioned below to completely remove any and all files related to Kerio VPN from your Mac devices.
Manually uninstall Kerio VPN
- Close Kerio VPN — Before uninstalling the application, make sure it has ceased working. To do that, you can force quit the application by pressing Cmd + Opt + Esc. Then select Kerio VPN and click on force quit.
- Open Activity monitor via utility folder in launchpad.
- Select All Processes on the drop-down menu.
- Now select the processes related to Kerio VPN and click on Quit Process.
- Go to Finder > Application folder.
- Enter Kerio VPN in search and then drag it to the trash bin.
- You can also use the command Cmd+Del or just move the file to the trash bin.
- Now, Open the Finder, go to the Menu Bar.
- Go to Folder and then enter the path of the Application Support folder: ~/Library/…
- For preference files ~/Library/Preferences
- to look for support files ~/Library/Application Support
- anything related to cache ~/Library/Caches
- Select those files and move them to the trash bin.
- Empty the trash bin.
Automatically uninstall Kerio VPN from Mac
It needs a third-party application, but in turn, will make the whole process much smoother. Here I will be using the MacRemover application for the sake of the tutorial.
- Download MacRemover and install it.
- Launch the MacRemover in the launchpad.
- Select Kerio VPN and click on Run Analysis.
- Click on Complete uninstall button, then on the pop-up dialog box, confirm the removal.
You can try another application instead of MacRemover.