Mullvad VPN is undoubtedly one of the most affordable VPN out there. And that, too, is value for money. Sure, you don’t get a plethora of features, servers, or a dazzling UI but rather a well-rounded service, from an almost transparent company, which is hyper-focused on security. It is a niche VPN, however, not without its drawbacks. I’m guessing that’s why you are reading this article. Whether you are unsatisfied with the services offered or simply bored and want to try a new vibrant VPN, you would certainly want to learn how to uninstall Mullvad VPN without a hitch. If you do, then you are in good hands. This article will not only discuss the possible drawbacks of the Mullvad VPN but also systematically explore the various options regarding its removal from your device.
Note — Mullvad VPN may be a small player in the VPN arena, but it does offer its services (and a dedicated app) across a multitude of platforms. It is compatible with not only the popular desktop OS such as Windows, macOS, and Linux but also with mobile platforms such as Android and iOS.
Common reasons to remove Mullvad VPN
This Sweden-based provider does offer a decent VPN when compared to some other players in the market. It is committed to bringing a very stable security-centered VPN to the table. However, it isn’t quite user-friendly. Today, when VPN has become an active participant in the general user’s online security considerations, being not so user-friendly is a big no-no for most of the people out there. Other than the unappealing UI, some features require a bit of advanced technical knowledge to make use of efficiently. Mullvad VPN is one of the better alternatives out there, but certainly not for everyone. Listed below are some of the most common reasons users provide while uninstalling Mullvad VPN:
- Not So great a UI — VPNs are a product which need user interaction. Mullvad VPN provides services across a multitude of platforms, but the apps are simple. Way simple for the taste of some users.
- Can’t bypass Geo restrictions — It is either unable to bypass Geo restrictions or work on very limited geo-blocked content.
- Below Par customer service — Service matter. Although it is a small company as compared to the rest of the leaders, a lackluster customer support can turn away potential customers too.
- No ad blocking — Ads are annoying while surfing. Some are even malicious. For some, It doesn’t make sense to use one app for security and the other for ad blocking.
- Some features require an in depth technical knowledge.
How to uninstall Mullvad VPN from your devices
Mullvad VPN offers a wide variety of selections across a plenitude of Operating systems. From famous ones like macOS to niches like Linux, Mullvad has a dedicated application for Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, iOS.
This guide will cover, step-by-step, the methods to remove Mullvad VPN from each and every aforementioned OS in detail.
Uninstall Mullvad VPN on Windows
The dedicated desktop client for Mullvad VPN can be removed from the Windows OS primarily via two main approaches. They are the automatic removal via a third party application and the manual removal. We will discuss the different methods for older versions of Windows under the manual uninstallation process.
Note — Mullvad VPN no longer support the older versions of Windows like Windows 8, 7, or earlier. If you have Mullvad VPN running on these OSes, it’s advisable to urgently replace/upgrade your VPN service provider.
How to remove Mullvad VPN on Windows (via App)
The easier way towards getting rid of an application on your Windows device is to utilize a third-party application like Obit Uninstaller, Bloatware Uninstaller, Revo Uninstaller, etc. It is a highly recommended method. It is an automatic, and hassle-free method. For the purpose of this guide, I will use Revo Uninstaller to demonstrate automatic uninstallation on Windows devices.
- Visit the Revo Uninstaller homepage and download the software.
- After it finishes download, locate the file and click on it to install.
- Now, run the Revo Uninstaller program.
- On the left side of the program, locate Logs Database.
- In the search box now type Mullvad VPN.
- Select the Application from the Logs display and click on uninstall.
- When prompted, click on Ok/Yes, and after it finishes, click on Finish to end the removal process.
How to remove Mullvad VPN on Windows (Manually)
It is possible to remove Mullvad VPN from your Windows devices manually. There are actually a few methods to do so. Some methods may differ though depending on the version you are running. Manual uninstallation may sound tedious, but it’s not so hard to follow. However, before initializing the uninstallation process, make sure that Mullvad VPN isn’t running in the background.
Note — Manual uninstallation can leave behind leftover files and folders which can’t be easily found by users. If you want to avoid unnecessary errors, you have to search and delete these files.
For Windows 7 or earlier
On Windows 7 or below, use the following method for manual uninstallation of Mullvad VPN.
- First, click on the Start menu (press the Windows keys).
- Find and click on control panel.
- From the popup, select Program & Features.
- Locate Mullvad VPN.
- Click on it and select uninstall.
- Click on confirm and you’re done.
For Windows 10
Windows 10 has a ton of processes to get rid of Mullvad VPN. Of those, 3 are mentioned below:
Method 1: Using App via Setting Menu
- Click on the Start menu (press the Windows key).
- Go to settings.
- From the popup menu, find and select App.
- On the popup menu, locate Mullvad VPN.
- Click on it and select Uninstall.
- Follow the Uninstall wizard for uninstallation.
- Restart when you’re done.
Method 2: Uninstall Mullvad VPN via native uninstaller
Every Windows application comes with its own uninstaller. It is located in the same folder under the name uninst000, Uninstall, or Uninstaller. This method utilizes the native uninstaller of Mullvad VPN.
- First, locate the folder where you have installed Mullvad VPN.
- For Windows 10: Click on search and type Mullvad VPN, then right click and select show in folder.
- For Windows 7 or older: Go to start menu and find Mullvad VPN, then right click and select show in folder.
- Now locate the uninstall.exe file.
- Double-click on the file to execute the program.
- Follow the instructions of the uninstall wizard to completely remove Mullvad VPN.
Method 3: Removing directly from Start menu
- Go to the start menu.
- Find Mullvad VPN.
- Right click on it.
- Select Uninstall and press yes when prompted.
Remove Leftover files
As stated above, it is imminent that you get rid of leftover files along with your app. Especially when manually removing applications. To do so, follow the instructions mentioned below:
- Press Windows + R keys at a time (Click on Run from the start menu)
- Write regedit in the box that popped up and hit enter.
- Navigate to the registry key or press CTRL + F to open Find in Windows registry.
- Type Mullvad VPN to find related folders.
- Expand them one at a time and delete manually.
Now that we have covered various options regarding the removal of Mullvad VPN on Windows, let’s move forward.
Uninstall Mullvad VPN on macOS
Uninstalling software on macOS is comparatively easier than windows because they are mostly stand-alone applications. They are self-contained and all bundled together. It is as simple as dragging an application to the trash bin, and you are done. But sometimes it can be tricky. That’s why this article will be covering a further detailed step-by-step approach. The two methods to uninstall Mullvad VPN are automatically removing via 3rd party and manual removal respectively.
How to remove Mullvad VPN on macOS (via App)
This method uses a third-party application. There are a bunch available on the app store. In this guide, though, I will use App Cleaner & Uninstaller.
- Find and download App Cleaner & Uninstaller.
- Run the app, it will auto scan and show you a list of all the applications installed on your device.
- Find and select Mullvad VPN from the list.
- Click on the remove option and done.
This will deal with all the residual/leftover files and folders too.
How to remove Mullvad VPN on macOS (Manually)
You can quite conveniently remove Mullvad VPN from mac manually. Just keep in mind to get rid of those leftover files.
- Press Cmd + Opt + Esc. Then select Mullvad VPN and click on force quit.
- Run Activity monitor via utility folder in launchpad.
- Click on All Processes from the drop-down menu.
- Now find and select the processes related to Mullvad VPN and click on Quit Process.
- Head to Finder > Application folder.
- Enter Mullvad VPN in search and then drag it to the trash bin.
- You can also use the command Cmd+Del
- Or just move the file to the trash bin.
- Mullvad VPN has been deleted.
- Now, Open the Finder and go to the Menu Bar.
- Go to Folder and then enter the path of the Application Support folder under: ~/Library/…
- For preference files ~/Library/Preferences
- and for support files ~/Library/Application Support
- anything related to cache can be found in ~/Library/Caches
- Select those files and move them to the trash bin.
- Empty the trash bin.
Mullvad VPN is completely gone from your Mac device.
Uninstall Mullvad VPN from Linux
Commands needed for uninstallation of Mullvad VPN on Linux:
- For Debian/Ubuntu users
- sudo apt-get purge mullvad-vpn
- For Fedora users
- sudo dnf remove mullvad-vpn
Remove Mullvad app from Android
- Open the Settings menu on your device.
- Scroll down to find Apps menu and click on it to open it.
- Find Mullvad VPN and tap to open it
- Tap on Uninstall.
Remove Mullvad app from iOS
- On the home screen, long press the Mullvad VPN icon.
- On the pop-up menu, select Delete App.
- Tap Delete to remove the app from your device.
- This will also remove the local log files, cache, and settings.
Thank you for reading this guide.