A Canada-based provider, Windscribe, is a VPN with great potential. With an approachable image, this provider has focused on developing a feature-centric product. The all-time popular Free version of the Windscribe VPN is the most generous one on the market. Filled up to the brim with innovative features like R.O.B.E.R.T. Windscribe VPN is one of the VPN leaders. It’s feature-rich, innovative, secure, can bypass Geo-restrictions, and even block ads. It’s popular, and despite all of it, still easy to use. Windscribe is one of those rare VPNs that have seemingly everything going for them. Yet, there are users who, after experiencing Windscribe VPN, choose to uninstall it. If you are one of them and want to know how to uninstall Windscribe VPN, please continue reading further.
Windscribe VPN, even though supposedly great, it isn’t without drawbacks. A user can never be satisfied with a product. In the case of Windscribe VPN; Many users complain regarding its limited number of servers or its below-par speed. For many, the provider being in a 5-eyes country is a big drawback. Be it because they have to reinstall it again in the future, or maybe they just weren’t thrilled, users tend to uninstall Windscribe VPN.
Note — Windscribe is highly diverse. It has excellent accessibility as it provides applications for all the major platforms such as Windows, macOS, Linux, iOS, and Android. It even has extensions for Chrome, Firefox, Opera and can be run on Amazon Fire TV, Kodi and NvidiaSheild.
Common Reasons to uninstall Windscribe VPN
Windscribe looks solid on paper. And the majority also agrees after the fact. It is a good product from a fun-loving, privacy-centric brand. Nonetheless, as stated above, a user doesn’t need a reason to uninstall a product. Given that, if you are wondering, listed below are some of the most common reasons for uses to uninstall Windscribe VPN.
- Not as advertised — Some users experience inconsistency with the claims regarding the VPN speed and Geo bypassing abilities.
- Not as secure — According to users, this VPN isn’t as secure it wants us to believe. Many claims they were hacked; While on Windscribe VPN. Although it’s unclear if it was on the free version or the fault was on the consumer end.
- Huge Speed Reduction — Many have experienced speed reduction when on Windscribe VPN. It can go as low as almost 10% of the original speed. Other VPNs go down only around 10% or so.
- No 24/7 Live support — A VPN is a service. Like others, it relies a lot on customer support. However, the Windscribe customer support has a lot to do.
- Based in a 5-eyes country — The alliance can compel a provider to hand over data, depending on the No Log policies of the VPN provider. It’s better to use a VPN not associated with these five countries if you are particularly concerned about your online privacy.
- No Independent Audit.
These are the few common reasons a Windscribe user has for removing Windscribe VPN from his/her device.
Uninstall Windscribe VPN from your device
Windscribe VPN is available on almost every platform. It has solid compatibility and accessibility. Windscribe has a dedicated client for every popular desktop OS, like Windows, macOS, Linux. It even has streamlined and sophisticated applications for mobile OSes like Android and iOS. This VPN service has covered browsers too; and developed extensions for them, like Chrome, Firefox, Opera. You can also install it on routers. (Windscribe offers pre-installed routers too) With the unlimited number of simultaneous devices you can connect to, Windscribe VPN has covered almost every possible avenue.
Note — You can now install Windscribe VPN on Amazon Fire TV, Nvidia Shield, and Kodi.
In this guide, we will explore the various methods to uninstall Windscribe VPN from every leading platform.
How to remove Windscribe VPN from your Windows
There are a lot of ways to rid yourself of an application on a Windows device. In this article, we will be looking at two main methods, Automatically and manually.
Before you initiate uninstallation on your Windows device, always make sure that you –
- Confirm your Windows version.
- Confirm your Administration rights.
- The said application is not running in the background.
To force close an application on Windows –
- First, open the Task Manager.
- Locate Windscribe VPN from the list of applications running on your device.
- Click on it and select End task.
- Click OK if prompted.
How to remove Windscribe VPN from Windows Automatically (via Third-party App)
The tried and tested method to remove a program from windows. If you want to avoid the hassle of dealing with leftover files or if you want to remove Windscribe VPN; Completely from your Windows, then this method is the perfect fit for you. I’d strongly recommend using this method if you are looking for an easy way to remove Windscribe VPN from your PC. There are a ton of applications available which can aid you in the uninstallation process. For the sake of this guide, I will be using the Bloatware uninstaller.
- First, install Bloatware uninstaller from the internet.
- Then click on the file to Run Bloatware Uninstaller.
- It will automatically scan all the apps on your device.
- Then Select Windscribe VPN from the list and click on Run Analysis.
- It will now show all the files and folders associated with Windscribe VPN.
- Now click on the uninstall button.
- After the Uninstall wizard finishes removing the software, click on remove leftovers. And done.
How to remove Windscribe VPN from Windows Manually
You can also manually remove Windscribe VPN from your PC by following these easy steps.
Note — While manually uninstalling a program from Windows, always remember to clean up the remaining leftover files and folders.
Manually uninstall Windscribe via using Apps & Preference/ Program & Features
For Windows 10
- Go to the Start menu (press the Windows key).
- Go to settings.
- From the popup menu, find and select App.
- Find Windscribe VPN.
- Click on it and select Uninstall.
- Click on confirm and you’re done.
For Windows 7 or older
- Go to the Start menu (press the Windows keys).
- Locate and click on the control panel.
- From the popup, select Program & Features.
- Locate Windscribe VPN.
- Click on it and select Uninstall.
- Click on confirm and you’re done.
Manually uninstall Windscribe via Native uninstaller
Every Windows software/Application has its own uninstaller file. It is located in the install folder and is an executable file (.exe). It can be named uninst000, Uninstall, or Uninstaller.
- Locate the install folder of Windscribe VPN
- Go to Start menu and locate Windscribe VPN
- Right-click on it and from that menu select Open destination folder
- Or write Windscribe VPN in the search tab, hit enter, and then right-click to find Install folder.
- Now the Install folder is open.
- Locate the uninstaller.exe file (or similar name)see above
- Double click or right-click and then click on start to execute the file.
- Now the uninstall wizard is open.
- Follow it to get rid of Windscribe VPN.
Removing Leftover Files
- Press Windows + R keys at a time (Click on Run from the Start menu)
- Write regedit in the box that popped up and hit enter.
- Navigate to the registry key or press CTRL + F to open Find in Windows registry.
- Type Windscribe VPN to find related folders.
- Expand them one at a time and delete them manually.
How to uninstall Windscribe VPN from macOS
Uninstallation on macOS will be simpler than on Windows. Just drag the software (Windscribe VPN, case in point) icon to the trash bin; And done. It’s that simple. However, sometimes you can face some unexpected errors. To avoid all the trouble, I will be explaining two easy ways to uninstall Windscribe VPN from your macOS. They are automatic removal (with the help of an application) and manual uninstallation done by the user.
How to uninstall Windscribe VPN automatically (via a third-party application)
Just like Windows, there are a lot of applications you can choose from. I will be using App Cleaner & Uninstaller for this guide.
- Find App Cleaner & Uninstaller from the app store and download it.
- Run the app, it will auto scan and show you a list of all the applications installed on your device.
- Find and select Windscribe VPN from the list.
- Click on the remove option and done.
This will also take care of all the leftover files.
How to uninstall Windscribe VPN manually
- Launch Force Quit utility by pressing Cmd + Opt + Esc.
- Then select Windscribe VPN and click on force quit.
- Now open Activity monitor via utility folder in launchpad.
- After that, select All Processes from the drop-down menu.
- Now locate the processes related to Windscribe VPN, select them, and click on Quit Process.
- Head to Finder > Application folder.
- Enter Windscribe VPN in search and then drag it to the trash bin.
- You can also use the command Cmd+Del
- Or just move the file to the trash bin.
- Windscribe VPN has been deleted.
- Now, Open the Finder and go to the Menu Bar.
- Go to Folder and then enter the path of the Application Support folder under: ~/Library/…
- For preference files ~/Library/Preferences
- For support files ~/Library/Application Support
- And for cache ~/Library/Caches
- Select those files and move them to the trash bin.
- Empty the trash bin.
Now Windscribe has been successfully and completely been removed from your macOS
How to remove Windscribe from Linux
Linux can be fun to use if you know what you’re doing. Thus depending on the user, the removal of any application on Linux can be either extremely easy or similarly hard.
Note — Windscribe supports 4 distros of Linux, namely Debian 10, Fedora 22+, CentOS 6+, and Ubuntu 19.04
- Run Command terminal.
- Enter dpkg – – List; for a list of all the applications on your devices
- Linux command terminal need the exact name of the application for it to work
- From the list, Find and remember the name of Windscribe
- Now if you want a simple uninstallation, i.e., if you are likely to reinstall later enter
- sudo apt-get remove windscribe-cli
- It will only remove the applications but keep your personalized settings
- if you want to delete the dependent package then
- sudo apt-get remove –auto-remove windscribe-cli
- If you want to remove personalized settings such as configuration files as well, then use the Purge command.
- sudo apt-get purge windscribe-cli
- For complete removal, however, enter
- sudo apt-get purge –auto-remove windscribe-cli
Delete from Android (tabs, smartphones, TVs)
Some options or names may differ for you according to the make and model of the device, as well as the android version it’s running.
- Go to your phone settings.
- Click on the Application menu (might differ version to version)
- Go to the list of installed apps.
- From the list, locate Windscribe VPN and click on it.
- Now click on uninstall.
- Select yes/ok if prompted.
- Now your device is Windscribe free
Delete from iOS
- Find the setting menu on your iOS device.
- Now go to General and from there, go to Profile.
- Find the Windscribe VPN app and click on it.
- Tap on delete.
- Enter your password/pin for authentication.
- Go to the Home screen and long-press the Windscribe VPN icon.
- Click the ‘X‘ button.
- And done.
Remove Windscribe VPN from Web browsers
Windscribe supports major browsers like Chrome, Firefox, and opera in the form of an extension.
- Open Chrome.
- Go to settings (alt + f + s)
- Select More > More tools > Extensions.
- Next to the extension that you want to remove, select Remove.
- To confirm, select Remove.
- Click the menu button
- Click on Add-ons and then Themes and select Extensions.
- Scroll through the list of extensions and find Windscribe.
- Click the ellipsis (3-dot) icon for the extension you wish to remove and select Remove.
- Open the Opera browser
- Go to menu, near top left corner
- From the drop-down menu, select extensions
- From the list of installed extensions, locate Windscribe extension.
- Click the X button on the top right of the window
- Now, Windscribe has been removed.