When it comes to VPNs (virtual private networks), Astrill VPN has most vendors beat. Although pricey, the service caters to users who care for obfuscation and bypassing censorship. Thus, the VPN offers some of the best obfuscation techs found on this globe. However, it is a legitimate concern if the vendor can maintain the edge. The digital world, especially the internet, is dynamic and changes rapidly. Hence, there is no guarantee that a new service or technology will not overtake the provider. To maintain the said lead, Astrill VPN has to work harder and smarter. When it comes to enhancing, what better way than upgrades is there? Therefore, those who want their service to remain relevant should update Astrill VPN.
Reasons for updating Astrill VPN
Users can update Astrill VPN to make the best out of the VPN service, but why is there a need for updates? Why not get a new vendor altogether? That’s because Astrill VPN offers some of the best VPN technologies on the market. Thus, an update will only make it better. The service doesn’t host a lot of VPN servers, only around 107, but they are all high-quality and support multiple forms of traffic, including P2P or torrenting.
Furthermore, the VPN has a global presence despite having a small network that covers more than 50 strategic locations to serve the customers better. The VPN client might be a bit complicated, but it is heaven-sent for advanced users. Hence, if you want total customization, the latest VPN protocols, the strongest encryption, and working obfuscation, then Astrill VPN is the way to go.
1. Update Astrill VPN on Windows
Now, let us talk about how to update Astrill VPN on Windows. It is a popular desktop operating system (OS) that has been around for decades. Importantly, it still dominates the market. Although there are alternatives available, people still prefer a Windows PC; due to it being user-friendly. That is why updating an application on the platform can be a cakewalk. However, it doesn’t mean one shouldn’t be careful. Thus, we have included two different approaches to Windows Astrill VPN upgrade. But be sure to use a newer version of the OS as the client doesn’t support anything older than Windows 7.
Via Programs and Features
The first method will make use of the famous Programs and Features option. While the latest versions of Windows also allow you to update an app from the Microsoft Store directly, we have included this process for those who want to keep things classic. The option utilizes the Windows Installation Wizard to do a quick internet search and find if a new version is available, and If it is, download it. The steps needed are as follows:
- The user should access the Start Menu.
- It is the core of the OS. Users can access the menu by pressing the Windows key on the keyboard. Otherwise, they can also click on the Windows icon in the bottom left corner.
- The user should now look up Settings.
- Now click it to access a new menu and select Apps.
- Then choose Programs and Features.
- You can see multiple tabs on the screen. Click on Uninstall/update.
- The device will show a list of installed apps.
- From the list, select Astrill VPN and right-click and pick Update.
- It will launch the Windows Installation Wizard, where it will auto-search the app’s source for a new update.
- If found, the device will download the file and prepare it for installation.
- However, it will prompt the user and ask permission to delete the older version.
- Once the older version is out of the picture, it will install the new app.
- A restart is needed to use the app.
Using the official website
The other process includes updating the client via the official website. However, users should wait for the app notification before proceeding with this step. Such as the steps include the following:
- The Astrill VPN will prompt a notification on the Windows Notification Panel on the right side of the screen.
- Click the notification and the device will redirect you to the official website.
- Once the website loads, the download will begin automatically.
- Now, wait for the download to finish.
- Head to the Download folder and double-click on the EXE file to launch the Windows Installation Wizard.
- Since there is an older version installed on the device, the system will prompt users for permission.
- Select Yes to proceed with replacing the application.
- Reboot your system in the end.
2. Updating Astrill VPN for macOS machines
Although Mac enjoys popularity in the market, it is also a kind of niche. However, the OS is pretty straightforward when it comes to updating and using an app. Thus, those who want to update Astrill VPN will find the steps simple enough, and if the app is available on the Mac Store, the process can be automatic.
Note — The macOS client only supports versions 10.14+ and up. Make sure to use the latest OS before updating your app.
Using Mac App Store
These are the steps to follow for upgrades through Mac Store:
- Launch the Mac App Store on your computer.
- Click on your profile ID and select Update.
- From the list of apps that need updates, select “Astrill VPN” if available.
- If not, you can turn on the Auto-Update feature from “Settings”.
Through the Astrill VPN website
The following process mirrors the one we have for Windows. Hence, the procedure depends on the app notification and subsequent installation.
- The device will show a notification regarding an app update.
- Click the notification, and you will be redirected to the website. The consequent download starts automatically.
- After the download finishes, visit the Download folder and drag that DMG file to the Application folder on your Mac device.
- The device will prompt authentication. Enter your Mac ID credentials.
- Reboot the system once the installation finishes.
3. Android software upgrade for Astrill VPN
Luckily, we do not have to update apps on our Android phones manually. The OS allows users to auto-update the apps via Google Play Store. Thus, all you have to do is turn on the feature. But those who want to proceed without turning it on can follow these steps:
- Check the smartphone for a notification stating an update is ready.
- After that, tap the update notification.
- You will find yourself on Google Play Store. On the Astrill VPN page, tap on Update.
4. Upgrading the iOS Astrill VPN application
Lastly, we can update our apps on the iOS platform. The OS also supports auto-updates via the Apple App Store. Alternatively, users can also visit the App Store via the app upgrade notification on their smartphones to finish updating the app manually.