Today, a VPN (a virtual private network) is known for being resourceful. The tech is not limited to digital security but has expanded into leisure activities such as online gaming and streaming. It’s also at the forefront of this technical revolution are a select few individual VPNs. These providers have led the traditional backend VPN market onto the front seats. Today, VPNs are used exhaustively, and one name that still stands apart from the crowd is CyberGhost VPN we’ll teach you to update.
That’s because, like the scene with any other digital product, a VPN has a limited shelf life as newer and better tech gets unveiled nearly daily. If you want your favorite vendor to maintain an edge, then it’s time to update the VPN client. Hence, we will demonstrate ways to update CyberGhost VPN below.
Note — CyberGhost VPN is a quality VPN provider with over 7800+ servers in 90 countries. Readers can learn more about the vendor by referring to our CyberGhost VPN review.
Why update CyberGhost VPN?
CyberGhost VPN is a well-established vendor. Due to being old, it enjoys immense popularity as one of the leading VPN service providers. Over 35 million satisfied users can safely attest to that. However, it is a digital product, and like others, it needs constant updates to remain relevant. CyberGhost adopts the approach of being user-friendly to both beginners and advanced users. As such, the client has to offer multiple features while appearing friendly enough to navigate. Although there are other challenges, like debugging the current model and increasing efficiency, using the newer versions of the app can take care of the rest.
As a premium service hailing from Romania and with a global presence, CyberGhost VPN has a lot of riding on its success. Thus, failing to meet specific standards can spell doom for the vendor, especially in an era where VPNs are becoming as common as they can be. Although the service has sufficient advanced features and functions, the market is ever-expanding. Therefore, the only road forward is to enhance the service regularly and provide the solution to the users via an update.
1. Manually update CyberGhost VPN on Windows
When we talk about updating software on Windows, we are quite relaxed as the desktop platform is known for being user-friendly. Furthermore, the software itself provides numerous guides for a successful installation. Hence, no matter the approach, a user can update CyberGhost VPN on Windows within minutes, and that too with relative ease. However, we should remind our readers that the VPN supports Windows 7 (SP2) version and later iterations. It won’t work on older modules. For the sake of this demonstration, we will use Windows 10, which is still the leading desktop platform.
Use Programs & Features to update CyberGhost VPN
First, we will be using the tried and tested method of updating an app via the Windows Installation Wizard. Although Windows can download apps separately, using the Wizard will often result in the original version of the software. The users can follow the steps detailed below:
- The users should access the Start Menu on their Windows device.
- The Start Menu is the core of the Windows UI and is mapped to the Windows key on your keyboards. Hence, press the key to bring up the menu. Alternatively, you can also click on the Windows icon in the bottom left corner of the screen.
- On this menu, the user should find Settings and click it. Doing so will launch a new window with multiple tabs and options.
- Here, they have to locate “Apps” and click it.
- After that, navigate through to find the Programs & Features link, and click it.
- Now, on the right side of the screen, the user will find Uninstall/Update. Select it, and a list containing all apps installed on your device will appear.
- Now they should find CyberGhost VPN from this list and right-click on it.
- Then, select Update and wait for the Windows Installation Wizard to run.
- The Wizard will scan the web for a newer version of the CyberGhost VPN app. If found, the system will prompt installation.
- But before that, the user has to uninstall the older version.
- The process will get done automatically as soon you grant permission.
- They should restart the device and enjoy the updated CyberGhost VPN.
Update the VPN via the official website
Users can also download the latest CyberGhost VPN version from the official website directly and install it on the device. However, wait for the app to notify you of a newer update. Doing so manually can lead to downloading and installing the same version all over again.
- The CyberGhost VPN app will prompt a notification on the Windows Notification Panel. It means that a newer version is available.
- Click the notification and wait for the system to redirect you to your web browser.
- Then, the official CyberGhost VPN website will load, and a download will start automatically.
- You can also visit the website and click on VPN Apps. Go to Windows under “Desktop Apps” to download the app manually. But doing so is not recommended.
- Open the Download folder after the app finishes downloading and double-click on the .exe file.
- Here, the system will prompt you for permission to delete the older version and install the new one. Select Yes, and you can update CyberGhost VPN successfully.
- Reboot your system.
2. Updating CyberGhost VPN on Mac computers
Mac users do not have to worry much about updates. If the app is available on the Mac App Store, then it will update automatically. Otherwise, you can do it manually by following these few solutions.
Use the Mac App Store for an automatic update
CyberGhost supports macOS Sierra (10.12) and up. If the app is on the App Store, follow the steps below. Otherwise, head to other solutions listed below.
- Head to the App Store and click on Updates.
- Now locate the CyberGhost VPN app in the list.
- If available, click on it to install the latest version of the app. You can also turn on Auto Updates from the “Settings”. If the app is unavailable on Store, follow the other solution.
Check the CyberGhost VPN app for updates
Launch the CyberGhost VPN app and use it to scan for any updates. Follow these steps:
- Click on the title bar of the app.
- Then click on Check for updates.
- Download said updates and install the new version by dragging and dropping.
Updating via the CyberGhost VPN website
You can use the notification to download the update as we did on Windows. Here’s how:
- Wait for the app to notify you about any recent updates, then click on the notification.
- The device will redirect you to the web browser and load the official CyberGhost VPN website. Now, a download will begin.
- Users can also download the latest version manually by visiting the VPN Apps page of the CyberGhost website and selecting Mac under “Desktop Apps”.
- After it finishes downloading, go to your Download folder and drag the .dmg file to the Application folder. Doing so will replace the older CyberGhost VPN with the current version.
- Do not forget to restart your system.
3. Perform an automatic CyberGhost VPN update on Android
Gone are the days when a user has to update an app on Android manually. Today, as long as the app is available on Google Play Store, you can download it automatically. However, those who have turned off this feature can still follow these steps:
- When a new update is available for CyberGhost, it will notify you. Click on the notification. The device will launch the CyberGhost page within the Google Play Store.
- All that’s left is to click on Update.
4. Updating CyberGhost VPN on iOS
You can use the Apple App Store on any iOS device to update an app automatically as long you can find it there. Also, you have to keep the automatic update function turned on. However, if you want to do it manually, follow these steps:
- Launch the Apple App Store on your device.
- Now, search for “CyberGhost VPN”.
- If an update is available, click on Update, and wait for the download to finish.