Updating software is beneficial as the developers try to add new features and clear existing bugs. Furthermore, a digital product has a very short shelf life, and it can go obsolete in mere months. In such circumstances, it is evident that the software needs constant updating to maintain an edge and competitiveness. Also, sometimes upgrades of a rival product can add external pressure. Thus, there are many reasons behind an update, and a VPN is no different, including IPVanish.
Although proficient in privacy and data security, VPNs function via a user-end client. Hence, their functionalities and abilities depend on the VPN client. It is precisely this client we upgrade to keep up with recent developments. That’s why we have brought our readers an article on how to update IPVanish VPN.
Why should you update IPVanish VPN?
IPVanish enjoys quite the popularity in the VPN scene. Hailed as one of the best streaming VPNs, it has to provide extensive service to the clientele. Hence, we can understand the need for making newer updates to bring out the potential of the VPN network. IPVanish, like other VPN vendors, strives to make its VPN client more approachable and user-friendly. At the same time, it has to ensure quality service and add newer and better features. All this gets done via an update.
As we all know, IPVanish VPN is a premium mid-tier service that operates out of the United States and offers a network of 2000+ VPN servers. But that’s not all. The service has numerous advanced features, like Dedicated IP, VPN kill switch, split tunneling, and more. Most of all, it is among a few providers that target steaming platforms and devices and make exclusive yet quality clients. Hence, an update can be a boost at the right time.
Note — Readers can always explore related manuals or check our in-depth IPVanish VPN review. We also have a specific guide on how to use IPVanish VPN.
1. Update IPVanish VPN on Windows
Updating a VPN on Windows is easy, no matter the approach you adopt. IPVanish VPN also helps as it notifies users in case of a new update. Although the VPN also supports the older Windows 7 version, we will show our example on a device running Windows 10 and 11. Those two are mainstream and our instructions can thus help a maximum number of users. Here are two ways of updating this VPN on Windows:
1. Update IPVanish VPN using Programs & Features
The primary approach is to use the in-built Windows Installation Wizard to look up and install an update. You can follow these steps:
- Go to the Start menu.
- You can press the Windows key on your keyboards or click the Windows icon in the bottom left of the screen.
- Now, locate Settings and click it to open the corresponding menu.
- Then, select Apps and go to Programs & Features.
- Click on Uninstall/Update. A list will appear containing all the installed apps on the device.
- Now, locate and right-click on IPVanish VPN.
- Then, click on Update and wait for the Windows Installation Wizard to run.
- It will search the internet for the latest app version and download it. After that, an installation will begin.
- If prompted, you have to permit the uninstallation of the older version. Now your IPVanish has been updated to the latest version.
- Restart the Windows operating system.
2. Visit the official website to start updating IPVanish VPN
If you do not want to do all this, you can shorten the method by relying on the app notifications.
- Launch the IPVanish VPN app. You will find a notification if a newer version is available.
- Even without launching the app, the device will notify you using the Windows Notification Panel on the right side of the screen.
- You can also get notifications on your system tray.
- Then you need to click on the notification.
- It will launch your web browser and redirect you to the official IPVanish VPN website. A download will start automatically.
- Wait for the download to finish and open your Download folder.
- Here you will find a .exe file. Double-click it to execute it.
- The device will prompt you for permission regarding the removal of the older version.
- Once you click on Yes, the older IPVanish VPN will get removed. In its place, a newer version will get installed.
- Reboot your computer.
2. Guide for updating IPVanish software on macOS
Mac users can also enjoy the latest IPVanish VPN clients. Installing a newer version on macOS is simple. All you have to do is go to the Apple Mac App Store and search for updates. But those who do not want to download the app from there can use the following methods to update IPVanish VPN.
1. Check the IPVanish VPN app for updates
You can use the installed app to check for updates directly and then download the latest version. Here’s how to do it:
- Launch the IPVanish VPN app.
- Then click the title bar to open the drop-down menu.
- Click on Check For Updates.
- The device will search for any available updates. If found, you can click on Download to install the newer version.
2. Use the VPN provider’s website
You can also go to the official website directly and download the latest .dmg file. Install it manually afterward. Doing so will replace the older version, updating your IPVanish VPN. You can follow these steps:
- Go to the official IPVanish VPN website.
- Then click on Apps.
- Now, select macOS and click on Download for Mac.
- A download will start. Once the download finishes, go to the Download folder and select the app.
- Now drag the app to the Application folder.
- As your Application folder already contains an IPVanish VPN, the device will prompt you.
- You can delete the older version and install the newer one at once.
- Don’t forget to reboot your system after a successful installation.
3. Upgrading the IPVanish VPN version on Android
There is no need to manually update an app on Android if you have set your Google Play Settings to “Auto-Update”. Doing so will scan the Google Play Store daily for new versions for all the installed apps. If found, the feature will automatically download and replace the older app. Similarly, there is no need to do a manual upgrade by opening the installed app. Thankfully, those who opted out of Auto-Update can still manually upgrade their apps. This is how it works:
- The device will prompt you whenever a new update is available. Click on the notification to open the Google Play Store.
- Now search for IPVanish among the list of apps with new versions.
- If the VPN is there, tap on the Update button beside it, and your VPN will get updated.
Upgrade IPVanish VPN software on iOS device
The iOS operating system is pretty similar to Android or vice versa when it comes to updating apps. Simply visit the Apple App Store and follow the exact steps you took for the IPVanish Android software updating guide.