VPNs are ever-changing. They evolve as they absorb the latest technology to provide dynamic solutions to digital wellbeing. That’s why a VPN (a virtual and private network) needs to get updated regularly. When a user updates a VPN, they make the service more efficient. Providers are also worried about updates as they are competing with each other on merit. A quality VPN is well-liked. PrivateVPN is one such vendor that competes based on quality. Although it has a small VPN network overall, the VPN keeps other vendors on their toes due to its outstanding obfuscation and customer satisfaction. But can the service perform efficiently? Update PrivateVPN to find out!
Note — We have a detailed PrivateVPN review for interested users. Others can also visit the official PrivateVPN website for further information. For other guides relevant to the service, kindly check our website.
Reasons for a PrivateVPN software update
We do not need to go out of the way to introduce PrivateVPN. Enthusiasts might already know of the brand, while regular users give rave reviews for the service. Especially the unsuspecting yet powerful obfuscation that can bypass even the advanced VPN blocks. Almost a decade old, PrivateVPN was founded back in 2013 as a small VPN service with around 200 VPN servers in 63 different countries. Over the years, the VPN network has remained the same, but the number of IP addresses available has increased to around 7000 as the VPN provides a Dedicated IP feature.
Although, the VPN is still one of the cheapest available on the market. But to remain relevant, the service shares the same fate as other leading vendors, which is constant updates. Users update PrivateVPN to ensure reliability and stability. As they love and covet the budget-friendly obfuscation tool, they are constantly looking out for newer updates. However, just solely based on the fact that the service is the cheapest obfuscating VPN, the vendor can’t afford to become complacent.
As soon the service gives in and stops trying, other quality services can overtake it. Today, a VPN isn’t as rare as one assumes. And the industry itself is a fast-growing one. If the vendor wants to overcome challenges and remain a choice for users, it will need to keep updating PrivateVPN.
1. Perform PrivateVPN update for Windows
Windows is a user-friendly operating system that has made managing software simple. Users can easily update an app on Windows and using numerous methods at that. Sometimes the software is a catalyst that prompts users to update the client to the latest version. Other times, the users can manually search and upgrade an app. Thus, PrivateVPN users can comfortably use the Windows platform to keep their VPN clients up-to-date. In the following guide, we will demonstrate two different approaches to PrivateVPN update:
1. Using Programs & Features
The first method includes using Windows Installation Wizard via Programs & Features. Many users rely on the feature to install the latest version of the client, if available. We do not recommend downloading a .exe file from a third-party source as it can harm the system.
- Users need to access the Start menu.
- Press the Windows key on your keyboard or click on the Windows icon visible at the bottom left of the screen.
- Now, click on Setting and wait for a new window to load.
- From there, locate the Apps tab and click it.
- In the Apps section, find Programs & Features.
- Click it and go to the Update/Uninstall option.
- Now, users can see a list of apps installed on their Windows devices.
- Then, locate and select PrivateVPN from the list. And right-click on it.
- Select Update and wait for the Windows Installation Wizard to run and auto searches the web for the next version.
- If found, the device will ask you to install the latest version while discarding the original one.
- When prompted, select Yes to delete the older version and install the updated PrivateVPN.
- Restart the device.
2. Through the official website
Users can also rely on the system notification from PrivateVPN to update the client from the official website.
- Wait for the PrivateVPN app to prompt a notification. The notification will appear on the Windows Notification Panel on the right side of the screen.
- Now, click on the notification. Doing so will prompt the system to redirect you to your web browser.
- On the web browser, the PrivateVPN website will load, and a download will start automatically.
- Users can also download the latest version manually by visiting the Download section of the website.
- After the device finishes downloading, visit the Download folder and double-click on the .exe file to execute it.
- Before installation, the Windows Installation Wizard will prompt users regarding replacing the older version. Select yes.
- Now, the device will install and update PrivateVPN.
- Reboot the device and enjoy the VPN service.
2. Update PrivateVPN on macOS
The macOS is relatively easier to understand and use. Thus, it makes updating apps a piece of cake. If the app is available on the Mac Apple App Store, the update is a click away. You can also download the app automatically if available on the Store. However, there is a manual method available.
1. Automatic or in-app update via Apple Mac Store
If users can find the app on the Mac Store, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Go to the Mac Store and click on Updates.
- Find PrivateVPN from the list, if available.
- Click on it to install the latest version, or turn on the auto-update feature.
Users can also employ the VPN client itself to scan and update.
- Click on the title bar of the app and then select Check for Updates.
- Download the update and install the latest version by dragging and dropping.
2. Using the PrivateVPN website
Now repeat the process that we did on Windows:
- Let the VPN prompt a notification before clicking it.
- Now, users will get redirected to the web browser, and the official PrivateVPN website will load. Then the download will begin automatically.
- After that, go to the Download folder and drag the downloaded file to the Application folder.
- The device will prompt a notification asking to replace the older version. Restart the device.
3. Android auto-updates of PrivateVPN
Users no longer need to manually update PrivateVPN on Android devices. The app is available on the Google Play Store and can be updated automatically. Users only need to turn on the Auto-update feature on the Play Store. Alternatively, the users can click on the notification to install the latest updates.
4. Updating PrivateVPN on iOS
Similar to Android, iOS users don’t require a manual update of the VPN if they have enabled the Auto-update feature. However, they can still click on the incoming notification to manually handle the updates.