We update software to improve performance. Also, there is always a chance of removing bugs and other problems with the newer issue of a digital product. A personal VPN is foremost a web service. As a service, it has client-end software available for establishing a connection. Hence, we can expect improvement in the overall performance by updating a VPN client. Also, Surfshark is an individual VPN with multiple clients available for different platforms. In this article, you will learn to update Surfshark VPN in hopes of encountering an enhanced experience. How? You’ll find out shortly.
Why should I update Surfshark software?
Although we have exhaustively covered the VPN provider in the review, we would like to take a few lines to reintroduce the service to our readers. At this point, we would like to emphasize why you need to update Surfshark’s software. As our readers know, it is the leading budget-friendly service that goes neck to neck with some of the very best the VPN industry has to offer.
Hence, an update will only help in making the service more extensive. Although relatively new, the provider has over 4 years of presence in the market and has been on an upward trend. Thus, the newer versions will have something new to offer. With that said, these are procedures to update Surfshark VPN.
Update Surfshark VPN on Windows
Windows is a crucial platform as millions of users connect to the internet using a desktop running it. As such, a VPN for Windows is also equally important. It has to ensure quality service without interrupting the connection. That’s what Surfshark VPN is good at. However, as time passes, the VPN client running on the device goes obsolete. Today a digital product doesn’t have a satisfying shelf life, and it is imperative to keep on updating it. If you are a Surfshark VPN user running the latest Windows version, you can revamp it using the steps mentioned below:
Manually beginning the update process
Keep in mind that you also need to ensure that the supporting platforms are of the latest version. Surfshark doesn’t support the older versions of Windows. Make sure you are running Windows 7 or above. Then:
- Run the Start menu on your Windows device.
- You can do so by pressing the Windows key on your keyboard.
- Then locate Settings and click on it.
- Now, find the Apps section and select it.
- On the new menu, click on Uninstall/Upgrade Apps.
- After that, from the list of installed programs, locate and click on Surfshark VPN.
- Then right-click to open a menu and select Update app.
- Now, the Windows Installation Wizard will run.
- It will prompt you if there is a new version available.
- Then, follow the on-screen instructions and wait for the installation to finish. It will uninstall the older version and install the latest one.
- If you are prompted anywhere between the process, select Yes/Ok.
- Now, reboot the device and use your updated VPN.
Using the update pop-up
When there is an update available, the app will notify you. All you need to do is click on that notification and follow these steps:
- The app will prompt a pop-up.
- You can see it on your system tray in the bottom right corner of your screen.
- Now, click on the notification. It will redirect you to the Download page on the Surfshark website.
- Then, an auto-download will start.
- It is an EXE file that contains the latest version of the VPN.
- Now all you have to do is wait for the download to finish. Open the Download folder and double-click on the file to execute it.
- After you do so, the device will prompt you to ask permission to replace the older version.
- Select Yes, and the uninstallation and subsequent installation will begin.
- Once it is over, reboot your device.
Updating Surfshark VPN for Mac users
Similar to Windows, macOS also enjoys immense popularity. It is moderately distinct from the previous platform and offers a unique experience. Hence, the method to update Surfshark VPN is also different. Although, the overall process is quite similar. Here’s how we update it on macOS:
Using the Apple App Store
This method uses the Apple Store on Mac to search for and update an app. If the latest Surfshark isn’t available on the App Store yet, this method won’t work for you. Also, heed that Surfshark VPN only supports the latest macOS. From 10.12 and up.
- Go to the App Store on your Mac device.
- Then on the left side of the menu, click on Updates.
- If your Surfshark VPN update is available, click on it to install it.
Checking for updates in the Surfshark app
For those who couldn’t find Surfshark VPN on the App Store. You can still update the app by:
- First, open the Surfshark VPN app and click on the name on the tab.
- Then click on Check for updates.
- If any updates are available, the app will relocate you to the Surfshark website
- Now, go to the Download page of Surfshark and download the latest version for macOS.
- Lastly, move the downloaded file to the Application folder to replace the older version.
- Once the process finishes, reboot your device.
Replacing versions via pop-up
This method is similar to method 2 for Windows. The only difference is that we won’t be downloading the EXE file in the auto-download. Also, the later steps differ a bit so let us give a quick overview.
- When you get the update notification on your system tray, click it.
- Now, wait for the auto-download to finish.
- Then, go to the Download folder and drag the downloaded file to the Application folder.
- The device will ask permission to replace the already installed version.
- Select Yes, and reboot the system after a successful installation.
Upgrading Surfshark app on Android devices
Android has made it easier to update an app. The device will notify you in case of an available update. If the auto-update is on, the app will get updated overnight. Otherwise, you can follow these few steps to do so manually.
- Visit Google Play Store.
- Then click on your profile picture to open the menu.
- Now select Manage apps & devices from the menu.
- After that, go to the Manage tab and locate Surfshark VPN.
- Click on it and then tap the Update button. Lastly, wait for the download to finish.
Users can also directly search for Surfshark VPN on Google Play Store and download the latest version.
Upgrade Surfshark VPN application on iOS
The updating process on iOS is almost identical. Hence, you can follow these steps and give Surfshark VPN an update.
- Head over to the Apple App Store.
- Then click on your profile icon at the top.
- Now, tap on Updates and scroll down to find Surfshark from the list.
- Tap the update icon and wait for the process to finish.
Alternatively, you can also directly search for Surfshark VPN on Apple App Store and download it.