VPNs are helpful when fighting against data mining and selling. Numerous VPN servers and clients come together to create solid security and privacy protection. Users can share resources without worrying about a leak as the whole communication is safe behind layers of encryption. Although a bit different, individual VPNs work the same in principle. However, there is no administrator. A service provider who sells access to the VPN lets users can remain safely hidden behind remote servers while they frequent the internet. If you want to learn more about using a quality VPN, say, Surfshark, then our guide on how to use Surfshark VPN is the most suitable.
What is Surfshark VPN?
Surfshark is a quality mid-tier provider that offers affordable service to VPN users. The vendor hails from the Netherlands and practices a strict no-logging policy. It enjoys popularity as it has a decent network of 3200 and more servers spread across 65 countries. Furthermore, the vendor makes sure that the VPN is an all-rounder and can perform well on multiple fronts like streaming, torrenting, or bypassing geo-blocks. But that’s not all. The VPN’s worth lies in the fact that it’s affordable. The subscription plans are attractive, with a minimum price of $2.49. If intrigued, you can learn more about the service with our in-depth Surfshark VPN review.
The article focuses on methods to use Surfshark VPN. Although you can utilize it manually on nearly all internet-accessible devices, the vendor provides appropriate apps for the popular platforms. Using Surfshark via the exclusive app is the most efficient choice as manual setup often lacks advanced settings. Also, the whole process is easy enough to emulate, while the apps themselves are beginner-friendly.
1. Use Surfshark VPN on Windows
Not many VPN vendors avoid providing an exclusive app for Windows. Even with the advent of smartphones and Android, Windows reigns supreme in the desktop segment. As such, the need for a VPN is apparent. Since it enjoys immense popularity, many cybercrimes target the platform explicitly. However, using a VPN can change all that. It can hide you on the internet away from prying eyes.
Note — Before employing Surfshark VPN, double-check your version of Windows. The VPN app only supports Windows 7 and up, and it can’t run on older devices.
Follow these steps to use Surfshark VPN on Windows:
- You have to visit the Surfshark VPN website.
- We do not recommend downloading any apps from a third-party source.
- Then look in the top left corner, and you will find a tab named VPN. Click it.
- Then, from the drop-down menu, select Windows and wait for the page to load.
- Here, you can download the latest VPN client for Windows by clicking on Download VPN. Wait for the download to finish.
- Then go to the Download folder on your device and locate the surfshark.exe file.
- Double-click the file to execute it and wait for the Windows Installation Wizard to launch.
- Now follow the on-screen instructions and click on Next. If prompted, select Yes/OK accordingly.
- Click on “Finish” to exit the setup. Your Surfshark VPN is now ready to run.
- Thus, go to your desktop and double-click on the Surfshark icon.
- It will launch the app. For the first-time login, you have to provide the Surfshark VPN credentials.
- Those who have yet to purchase one should head to the website and buy a fitting subscription.
- After a successful login, you will encounter the main screen with numerous information. You are free to use the recommended auto-connect and randomly select a server. Or you can choose one manually.
- Click on Connect button to initiate the VPN connection.
2. Using Surfshark VPN on Mac works this way
Things are easier for macOS, although employing VPNs is equally critical on Mac computers. Thus, learning to do all this on Apple’s machines is helpful.
Note — Similar to Windows, Surfshark VPN supports the latest versions of macOS, the minimum being 10.12 Sierra.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Go to the Surfshark VPN website and download the VPN client for macOS.
- The steps are somewhat similar to the previous process. Merely substitute macOS instead of Windows when looking for the download file.
- Once you confirm the successful download of the file, go to the Download folder and select the .dmg file.
- Then drag it to the Application folder. Doing so will automatically install the VPN on your macOS.
- However, you may get prompted in between. Thus, enter your Mac credentials to authenticate the step.
- Now, head to the home screen and click the app to run it.
- Those with the VPN credentials can directly log in. While those first-time users without one can head to the website to purchase it. After logging in, you will see the page about your VPN connection.
- Now, you can change the settings to select a server manually. Alternatively, use the default settings.
- Select the Connect button to turn on the VPN.
3. Surfshark VPN user guide for Android
Android has been enjoying immense yet stable popularity over the last decade. It has made things much more beneficial for malicious agents who seek to mine and sell your data. As such, a VPN is a necessity for mobile users. Surfshark offers a client for Android, and it is pretty simple to set up and use it.
Note — Although Surfshark provides an APK file for sideloading purposes, we recommend using Google Play Store to download the app. Most devices have safeguards to prevent unauthorized third-party installations.
Users need to follow these instructions:
- Go to the Google Play Store as advised.
- You can do so by tapping the Play Store icon on your device.
- Then, search the store for Surfshark VPN and download the app.
- Once the app finishes the installation, go back to the home screen.
- Now, tap the app icon to launch it.
- Here, you have to enter the VPN credentials.
- Those who are yet to purchase one can also get it via Google Subscription. Although, we recommend going to the official website.
- Then select the server or use the recommended setting.
- Tap the Power button to initiate the VPN connection.
4. Use Surfshark VPN on iOS like this
iOS is the simplest platform to operate Surfshark VPN. All you have to do is:
- Head over to Apple App Store and search for Surfshark VPN.
- Then download the app. The device may prompt you for authentication. Enter your Apple ID credentials.
- Now, go to the home screen and tap the app icon to launch it.
- Enter the VPN username and password. If you don’t have it yet, go to the Surfshark website to purchase a subscription.
- Select a VPN server and tap the Power button. You can also use the recommended setting.