So, do you plan on adding NordVPN to Chrome? No problem, but first you must pay for a subscription plan. When that part is over, it’s just a matter of logging in and connecting to one of more than 5100 servers in 60 countries. Then, you can play videos game, download torrents, watch Netflix, Hulu, HBO Max, and other streaming services outside of your native country. While you are doing that, no one can crack your identity or spy on your browsing habits. This is due to the IP and DNS leak protection, 256-bit AES military-grade encryption, and a strict zero-log policy. Here’s how to add NordVPN to Chrome.
What is NordVPN Chrome Extension?
NordVPN is a VPN service provider that also offers a browser extension for Chrome. It allows you to use NordVPN directly inside Google Chrome. Although the extension is only a VPN proxy, it does secure any browser activity. The extension allows users to change their IP addresses and also lets them employ additional features like Threat Protection that can prevent harmful ads.
However, a browser extension is limited to the browser, and it won’t protect other online activities outside of it. To learn more, read our article on NordVPN browser extensions.
Benefits of NordVPN Chrome Extension
Despite being an alternative to the NordVPN app, the Chrome extension does have its benefits, which we have explored below. Gander a look:
- Secure online browsing on any Wi-Fi network – The extension hides your IP address from prying eyes. Furthermore, it encrypts your data traffic, which other, especially free extensions, do not. Hence, by relying on the NordVPN Chrome extension, one can stay safe, even on unsecured or untrusted Wi-Fi networks.
- Safeguards against ads and malicious links – NordVPN Chrome extension comes packed with features not found in most alternatives. The Threat Protection Lite allows users to block intrusive ads and also offers protection from malicious web links.
- Prevents IP leaks – The common issue with most VPN extensions are that they are only a glorified proxy. They do not or are incapable of preventing leaks. Which kind of defeats the purpose of having a VPN in the first place. But the NordVPN extension actually disables the WebRTC and prevents leaks that could expose your real IP address. WebRTC can get used to launching online attacks. Thus, by disabling it, the VPN extension also provides sufficient online security.
- Enjoy features like Split tunneling – The NordVPN extension also offers Split tunneling on the browser. Meaning, you can choose which websites to route via the VPN servers.
- No-log policy – One of the biggest advantages of using NordVPN is its No-log policy. Your history or activity while using the VPN will not be logged.
How to add NordVPN to Chrome
1. Purchase a subscription plan
- Head on over to Get NordVPN.
- Pick a subscription plan. Getting a larger plan upfront provides the biggest discount.
- Optional: Add NordPass and/or NordLocker if you need it. Also, click on the Got coupon? and enter a discount coupon code if you have one.
- Click on Continue to Payment.
- Enter your payment information. You can also use cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin, Ethereum, and Ripple. This is an anonymous way to pay.
- Click on Continue or Continue to CoinPayments, depending on what you chose to pay with.
- All necessary information will be sent to the e-mail you provided. This includes a password and the ability to set one yourself.
2. Install NordVPN Chrome extension
- Visit the NordVPN extension page.
- In the top right corner, click on Add to Chrome.
- A pop-up window will appear. Click on Add extension.
- Click on the mini NordVPN icon that has appeared in the top right corner of Google Chrome, to the left of your profile picture.
- On the pop-up, enter your login details – username or e-mail, and password.
You now have two options:
- You can click on Quick Connect. NordVPN will automatically connect you to the recommended server.
- You can click on Search for a specific country at the bottom. Start typing the name, pick one from the options, and click on Connect.
3. Enable CyberSec and Block WebRTC
While your connection is encrypted and your data is never saved to NordVPN’s servers, there are two potential dangers. To put your mind at ease, NordVPN has implemented two features. To verify they’re working, do this.
- Log in with your account to the NordVPN extension for Chrome.
- In the top right corner, spot the gear (cogwheel) icon and click on it.
- Once Settings opens, make sure both Block WebRTC and CyberSec options are enabled.
- CyberSec is a proprietary feature by NordVPN. It will block ads, adware, and malware on websites as you browse. This eliminates the chance of third parties tracking you, injecting malicious code, and infecting your device(s) with a virus. It can also detect phishing attempts and other threats online.
Now you know how installing a NordVPN extension for Google Chrome works. Make sure you’re always logged in and connected if you want to keep your identity hidden.