NordVPN is a trusted name in the VPN industry, and as a premium VPN vendor, it offers several benefits. We have also reviewed NordVPN previously. One such feature is the ability to use NordVPN on multiple devices with a single account. You can stay connected and protected on up to six devices if you are using NordVPN’s services. However, what do you do if you want to add more devices or replace one? Hence, it is paramount that users learn how to remove a device from NordVPN. The following article will not only highlight the reasons why you must remove a device from NordVPN, but also enlighten users regarding the exact steps needed for different devices.
Why do you need to remove a device from NordVPN?
Although adding more devices or replacing a device is sufficient grounds for removing NordVPN from an existing system, there are several reasons why a user must do so. And while we do know that a VPN is crucial and needs to be active for better protection, there are definitely times when you are left with no choice but to remove a VPN.
Listed below are reasons when and why you must turn off a VPN or remove it entirely:
- Sometimes, in order to troubleshoot some technical or network error, it is recommended to remove the VPN.
- There are some websites that actively block VPN use. If you want to access those sites, you might need to disconnect from NordVPN.
- Today, more and more countries are banning VPN use. If you hail from such a region, then you might consider removing NordVPN from your devices.
- Similarly, if you are traveling to any region where VPN use is prohibited, you might have to disable it temporarily.
- If you are already using NordVPN on six devices (which is the maximum number of allowed connections), you might have to remove NordVPN from one or more devices in order to make room for a newer one.
- At the same time, you might have to remove NordVPN from a device if you want to use a different device in its place.
Removing a Windows device from NordVPN
Removing NordVPN is pretty simple, and there are many ways to do so. If you want to permanently remove the VPN, then we recommend uninstalling NordVPN. However, if you suspect it is only temporary, then you might want to simply turn off the VPN to remove the device from your NordVPN account. If so, you might want to follow the steps described below, as removing a Windows device is a simple process. All you have to do is –
- First, launch the Start menu and go to Settings.
- Then, select Network & Internet.
- After that, click on VPN. You will find it on the left side of the menu.
- Now, select the NordVPN connection.
- Finally, click on Disconnect.
Or you can simply log in to your NordVPN app and disconnect your VPN by clicking the Power Button icon.
Disconnecting NordVPN on macOS
Similar to Windows, you can easily disconnect your Mac devices from NordVPN as long as you follow these steps:
- Open your App Drawer and click on System Settings.
- After that, click on Network and choose your VPN connection.
- Finally, click on the VPN and select Disable.
Turn off NordVPN on Android
When dealing with a mobile VPN, it is pretty simple to remove a VPN. And it is equally easy to just turn it off. How? Let’s find out:
- Tap your NordVPN app icon.
- Now, tap on the Power button icon.
- You are now disconnected.
Alternatively, you can simply go to your device setting and disable your NordVPN app or uninstall it.
Steps to remove an iOS device from NordVPN
Just like Android, you can switch off your NordVPN on an iOS device. The steps are pretty much similar hence we will not repeat them.
Remove a Linux device from NordVPN
Finally, we are going to remove NordVPN from a Linux device. Linux has several distros but we will only demonstrate the process for Ubuntu as it is one of the most popular distribution. The steps are as follows:
- First, click on the network icon on your screen.
- Then, choose VPN connections from the drop-down menu.
- After that click on Disconnect.
Disabling a device using your NordVPN router
Although NordVPN has a limit of six devices, that doesn’t mean there is no workaround. NordVPN is one of the select few providers that offers an exclusive VPN router. Even if you don’t get a preloaded NordVPN router, you can still install and use the VPN service on almost any router that supports VPN. And by doing so, you can add more devices to a VPN connection.
But then, how do you disable or remove a device from NordVPN? All you have to do is to access your router’s administration window and change a few settings to safely remove a device from your VPN connection. Here’s how:
- First, ensure that the target device is connected to the router and the VPN is active before proceeding.
- Then, go to your web browser and enter the IP address of your router.
- You can typically find it on the back of a router or on a sticker. However, you might also Google it by using the router brand as a keyword.
- After you have entered the IP address, you need to log in to your router.
- In most cases, the username and password remain the same as the default. But if you have changed them, you need to enter the correct password and username.
- Once you are on the router’s setting page, you need to locate the VPN tab or section (depending on your router).
- Here you can either disable the VPN, which will disconnect the VPN for all the devices in the network, or you can simply disconnect a device from the network by removing it from the list of connected devices.
- Alternatively, you can also remove the device from your network, as doing so will automatically render the VPN useless.