Although most users are aware of the benefits of a VPN (a virtual private network), many still refuse to give in. For a critical part, the fault lies with the numerous providers who have made the VPN industry evident. However, VPNs would have gotten lost in obscurity if not for such vendors. Leading providers, such as CyberGhost VPN, have been plying the trade for over a decade and made quite a name for themselves. But the question remains, why uninstall CyberGhost VPN if it is so influential?
A VPN is not a fit-all solution. Instead, it is highly customizable and caters to specific demographics. If a person who loves streaming uses a VPN that slows down the internet in favor of security, they would be unsatisfied with the service. Despite no fault of the VPN itself, users are selective in their approach. Hence, it is not surprising when they push for uninstalling services like CyberGhost.
Note — We at VPNWired.com do not favor an exclusive product. CyberGhost is a reputed component of the VPN industry and is well received amongst users. Learn more about the service by reading our CyberGhost VPN review.
1. Uninstall CyberGhost VPN on Windows
Despite being well known as a user-friendly platform, there are times when uninstalling an application from Windows can be quite a chore. Especially VPNs, as a lot is going on behind the scenes than a simple VPN client. You have to locate the TAP adapters from the Network driver and uninstall them separately. Furthermore, you have to take care of the miscellaneous leftover files too. Otherwise, a new VPN, upon installation, might fail to connect. It all seems like a tall order, and manually doing so can be problematic, even for the most careful user.
Hence, certain third-party apps can take care of the uninstallation, that too automatically. But interested users can also give the manual approach a try. However, we should heed a few points before initiating the removal process. We should ensure that the CyberGhost VPN has ceased functioning and has successfully closed before attempting a safe uninstallation. Here’s how:
- Start with clicking the Power On/Connect button on your VPN client to disconnect the VPN. Then exit the app by closing it.
- You can also disconnect the VPN via the system tray. All you have to do is:
- Right-click the VPN icon and select Disconnect.
- Then, select Exit, and now, the VPN is closed.
- Run the Task Manager to ensure no background activity happens.
- Press the Ctrl + Alt + Del on the keyboard to launch the Task Manager.
- Select CyberGhost VPN from the Running List, if available.
- Then, click on End Task.
- Now continue with the uninstallation process.
Note — CyberGhost VPN supports the latest version of Windows and is compatible with Windows 7 and up. If you are unsure about the uninstallation, try to update CyberGhost VPN with the help of our guide.
Automatic uninstallation of CyberGhost VPN
Users have a wide selection of third-party uninstallers to choose from. We prefer Total Uninstaller and will be using it during this example though we’re unaffiliated.
- Download the Total Uninstaller from the web.
- Go to the Download folder and double-click on the .exe file to execute it.
- Wait for the installation to finish and launch the app.
- Now, the uninstaller will run on your system and do a quick auto scan. It will then reveal all the installed apps, ready for removal, on the screen.
- Here, you have to locate CyberGhost from the list.
- Beware, as you may find more than one app with the same name. These are TAP adapters installed on your Network drive and also need to be uninstalled.
- TAP adapters are crucial for establishing a VPN tunnel per the VPN protocol.
- Now, select CyberGhost VPN and click on Run Analysis. You can find the button on the left side of the screen.
- The analysis will list every file, folder, etc., associated with the VPN.
- These are the leftover files that you need to delete.
- Click on Uninstall to initiate the process.
- After removing CyberGhost, delete the leftover files and repeat the process for the TAP adapters.
- Do a quick reboot of the system.
Manually remove CyberGhost VPN
On the contrary, some users are uncomfortable using third-party software for uninstallation. For these, we have prepared a manual, step-by-step guide on how to uninstall CyberGhost VPN.
- Launch the Start Menu.
- Press the Windows key on your keyboards or click on the Windows icon on your screens.
- Go to Settings and click on Apps.
- You should find and select Programs & Features.
- Select “Uninstall Apps” from the list of functions.
- A list will appear detailing all the installed apps on your Windows device.
- Select CyberGhost VPN and click on it.
- It will launch the uninstallation wizard. Follow the system promotes to uninstall the file.
- Repeat the process for the TAP adapters.
Since you have successfully deleted CyberGhost, it’s time to delete the leftover files. We will need the help of the Windows Registry to do so:
- Go to the Start Menu and launch the RUN box.
- Or you can press the Windows key + R on your keyboard.
- Alternatively, you can search the Start Menu by inputting RUN.
- On the dialogue box, enter the command: regedit and hit enter.
- Now press the Ctrl + F to open the Find in Page feature and enter the keyword CyberGhost.
- The Registry will list any files related to the keywords on the system.
- Select and delete them manually.
2. Uninstall CyberGhost VPN on Mac devices
Mac devices are popular for different reasons. Still, uninstalling an app on this platform is equally easy. Although third-party uninstallers are available for macOS, many prefer the hands-on approach. Users can get an uninstaller from Mac App Store or download one from the web. But before that, we have to ensure the safe termination of the CyberGhost VPN. Follow the steps below to do so:
- Launch the Force Quit Utility on your macOS.
- Press the Cmd (Command) + Opt (Option) + Esc keys on the keyboard.
- Search for the CyberGhost VPN app on the list and select it.
- Click on Force Quit.
- Launch Activity Monitor Utility.
- Click on Show All Processes.
- If you find CyberGhost on the list, select it and click on End Process.
- Proceed with the VPN removal.
Use a third-party uninstaller for Mac
As we did on Windows, download a third-party app and proceed with the uninstallation. We will be using Total Uninstaller. However, users are free to choose any available one.
- Download the Total Uninstaller and run it.
- After the auto scan, select CyberGhost VPN from the list and click on Run Analysis.
- Click on Uninstall.
- Select the leftover files and delete them.
Since the process is the same as Windows, we kept it brief.
Manual Mac uninstallation
The manual deletion on Mac devices is quite something. Drag an app to the Trash Bin, and it’s done. Although, you will have to deal with the leftover files. Plus, there are other ways to get rid of installed apps.
3. Removing CyberGhost VPN from Android
Follow these steps to delete CyberGhost VPN from Android.
- Make sure that the VPN is disconnected. After that, long-press the app icon until it floats. Now, either a pop-up menu will show, or you can directly drag the app.
- On the pop-up menu, select Uninstall.
- Alternatively, drag the app to a corner with Uninstall written there.
- When prompted, select Yes.
4. Uninstalling the CyberGhost VPN iOS app
Similarly, long-press the CyberGhost VPN app icon on an iOS device and tap the X that appears on the icon. After selecting Yes on the device prompt, the app will get deleted. You can also open Apple App Store, tap your profile icon, and remove the app from the list.