Looking for the best VPN service in the United Kingdom? Your search might have come to an end, and the same can be said for government censorship. We’re referring to The Investigatory Powers Bill, also known as Snooper’s Charter, which can be negated if you use a VPN. Otherwise, you allow the UK government to spy on your activity, ban you from browsing certain websites, and request stored logs of your connection and browsing history without a warrant. If you hide your IP with a VPN, you also improve your privacy and security significantly and gain other benefits, including bypassing VPN blocks. With that said, here are our choices for the best VPN for UK.
NordVPN is the best UK VPN provider with more than 440+ virtual servers in the UK. On a global scale, the VPN provider offers more than 5500 servers in 59 countries, split into servers for unblocking Netflix and other streaming services, P2P transfer, bypassing censorship in China or Russia, Onion over VPN, etc. The servers are also renowned for their speed and low latency and offer a free 7-day trial for Android and iOS VPN apps and a 30-day money-back refund.
NordVPN encrypts your Internet traffic with a military-grade AES-256-GCM algorithm and boasts a strict zero-log policy. They also provide features such as kill switch, split tunneling, and CyberSec (pop-up and malware blocker), and offer a proprietary VPN protocol, NordLynx.
- 440+ virtual servers in the UK
- 5500+ servers in 59 countries
- High-speed servers
- 7-day free trial for Android and iOS apps
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- AES-256-GCM encryption
- Strict zero-log policy
- Kill switch, split tunneling, and CyberSec features
- Proprietary VPN protocol (NordLynx)
ExpressVPN is based in the British Virgin Islands, a haven with no data retention laws, and doesn’t store logs. The provider doesn’t specify the number of UK servers they have, but proudly states they have servers in London, East London, Wembley, and Docklands. A total number is known, however – 3000+ servers in 94 countries.
ExpressVPN is known for impeccable security (256-AES encryption), top server speeds, and the ability to torrent privately and bypass VPN blocks by various online services. They also offer a total of 7 security protocols, including a proprietary one called Lightway. ExpressVPN is equipped with network lock and split tunneling features, and offers a 7-day free trial for VPN for Android, a 30-day money-back guarantee, and 24/7 customer support.
- Servers in London, East London, Wembley, and Docklands
- 3000+ servers in 94 countries
- No data retention laws (based in the British Virgin Islands)
- 7-day free trial for Android
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- 256-AES encryption
- Torrenting support
- Multiple security protocols, including Lightway
- Network lock and split tunneling features
Here’s a cheap VPN for the UK offered by a provider based in Romania. Paying less doesn’t mean compromise – just take a look at our CyberGhost review. Case in point, among 6800+ servers in 111 locations worldwide, 691 are located in the UK.
The servers support torrenting, streaming in 4K, and gaming, and the provider delivers modern VPN features – encryption with 256-bit keys, split tunneling, kill switch, DNS/IP leak protection, choice of top VPN protocols (IKEv2, WireGuard, OpenVPN), and even a free ad and tracker blocker. CyberGhost has a 1-day free trial and offers a 45-day money refund guarantee and 24/7 Customer Support.
- 691 servers in the UK
- 6800+ servers in 111 locations worldwide
- Affordable pricing
- Torrenting, 4K streaming, and gaming support
- 256-bit encryption
- Kill switch, DNS/IP leak protection, and ad/tracker blocker
- Choice of VPN protocols (IKEv2, WireGuard, OpenVPN)
- 1-day free trial
- 45-day money-back guarantee
Surfshark is the only rival to CyberGhost in the price-for-value ratio. The provider transitioned to RAM-only servers and offers 3200+ servers in 65 countries. The servers offer great speed, P2P transfer (torrenting), and support bypassing various VPN blocks. Surfshark also provides dedicated services for bypassing censorship through the NoBorders feature.
We think that Surfshark’s offer of unlimited simultaneous connections on one subscription is their best selling point. As expected, Surfshark also offers military-grade encryption, and features such as split tunneling (Whitelister), kill switch, CleanWeb (ad/malware/tracker blocker), and MultiHop (bouncing traffic between VPN servers).
- 3200+ servers in 65 countries
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- P2P transfer and VPN blocking bypass
- Dedicated services for bypassing censorship (NoBorders)
- Military-grade encryption
- Features like split tunneling, kill switch, CleanWeb, and MultiHop
ProtonVPN is a well-balanced VPN service that offers a water-tight zero-logs policy, state-of-the-art AES encryption, and a free plan that does not have any hidden costs. Furthermore, coming from Switzerland, the VPN is almost tailor-made for those who take their privacy seriously. The VPN was first launched in 2017, by the same company that gave the world ProtonMail. Hence, reputation-wise, the VPN has enough credibility. However, the service is a bit pricier as it costs $4.99 even for the cheapest 2 year plan.
- Water-tight zero-logs policy
- AES encryption
- Free plan available
- Based in Switzerland
- 2-year plan pricing
- Offered by the creators of ProtonMail
If you read our IPVanish review, you know why we trust this United States-based VPN provider knowing USA-s reputation for the invasion of privacy. They offer more than 1600 servers in 75 locations across the globe, among which 119 are in the United Kingdom. Unsurprisingly, IPVanish provides industry-standard features – kill switch, split tunneling, AES-256-bit encryption, and strict no-log policy.
What’s unique about IPVanish is the ability to connect to VPN on up to 10 devices at once, and connect to SOCKS5-configured servers. Oh, and an anonymity-oriented ability to combine features of TOR (The Onion Router) and a VPN.
- 119 servers in the UK
- 1600+ servers in 75 locations worldwide
- Connect to VPN on up to 10 devices
- SOCKS5-configured servers
- Kill switch, split tunneling, and AES-256-bit encryption
In our review of VyprVPN, you could see that the provider offers 256-bit AES encryption with 2048-bit RSA keys, a kill switch, and a close to no-log policy. VyprVPN also offers a 3-day free trial and a 30-day money-back policy. Furthermore, the parent company, Golden Frog, is reputable and 2+ million active users prove that.
VyperVPN offers 70 VPN server locations across the globe, including the UK, but doesn’t specify how many. They’re the go-to VPN provider for bypassing VPN blocks in the UK to watch BBC iPlayer or Sky Go. This applies to restricted places in the UK itself or countries worldwide (including China) thanks to VyprVPN’s proprietary security protocol named Chameleon.
- VPN servers in the UK (exact number unspecified)
- 70+ VPN server locations worldwide
- 256-bit AES encryption with 2048-bit RSA keys
- Chameleon proprietary security protocol
- 3-day free trial
- 30-day money-back guarantee
StrongVPN is a safe choice as a VPN in the UK, despite hailing from the US, a member of the Five Eyes Alliance. The VPN offers a strict no-logs policy with above-average speed. It is decent for torrenting and streaming, and it even works in China. The app is versatile and can run on multiple devices. The VPN is very old, as it was launched in 2005 and currently has over 950 servers worldwide. Furthermore, it is fairly priced at $3.97 per month and offers features such as stealth protocol and a kill switch.
- Over 950 servers worldwide
- No-logs policy
- Torrenting and streaming support
- Works in China
- Stealth protocol and kill switch features
AtlasVPN is another great addition to the list. It is a freemium service that is available for as low as $1.83 if you get the 3 year plan. AtlasVPN also ranks amongst the top when it comes to Free VPNs. Moreover, it is perfect for VPN beginners. Even though it is only a couple of years old, the provider is steadily growing the market and engaging with more and more users.
Owing to its initial success, the VPN was purchased by Nord Security. The VPN supports WireGuard protocol and has features such as an ad blocker, 4K fast streaming, and email protection.
- Freemium service with affordable plans
- WireGuard protocol support
- Ad blocker, 4K fast streaming, and email protection features
- Recently acquired by Nord Security
10. Hotspot Shield
It’s time we mentioned a truly free VPN service, although it’s limited to 500 MB of bandwidth per day and offers a maximum speed of 2 Mbps. If you upgrade to Premium, you get access to 1800+ servers in 80+ countries across the globe. Although it is available for Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android, and routers, and smart TVs, you’ll be stuck using Hydra, Hotspot Shield’s custom VPN protocol.
On the other hand, the protocol is responsible for unrestricted, super-fast download/upload speed and low latency. This, in combination with government-grade encryption and the ability to connect up to 5 devices concurrently, has widespread use. For example, P2P transfer, circumventing streaming service VPN blocks and playing online games competitively.
- Limited free version with 500 MB daily bandwidth
- Premium version with 1800+ servers in 80+ countries
- Hydra custom VPN protocol for fast speeds
- Government-grade encryption
- Connect up to 5 devices simultaneously
Private Internet Access is widely known as the largest VPN provider server-wise. They don’t clarify how many of the 24300+ servers in 77+ countries are in the United Kingdom alone, however. You know we wouldn’t include a provider without industry-standard features.
So, let’s focus on what makes it stand out. That is SOCKS5 VPN proxy support, 10 VPN concurrent VPN connections on one account, free ad/tracker/and malware blocker, and instant setup. The support for P2P transfer, streaming, and popular VPN protocols, PPTP, OpenVPN, L2TP/IPSec, and WireGuard, make the list too.
- 24300+ servers in 77+ countries (exact number in the UK unspecified)
- SOCKS5 VPN proxy support
- 10 concurrent VPN connections on one account
- Ad/tracker/malware blocker
- Multiple VPN protocols available
Among 1800 servers in 72 locations that Hide.me offers, an unspecified number is located in London and Manchester. We tested its speed in the UK in our review of Hide.me, if you’re after specifics. You’ll see it supports all top-security VPN protocols, unblocks Netflix US/UK and BBC iPlayer, and uses an AES-256 encryption algorithm.
The VPN service also works in China and other countries. This is perfect for watching British content while traveling abroad. The price of Hide.me Premium plan is on-par with ExpressVPN and comes with a 30-day money-refund period. Their Free plan is limited to 10 GB per month and 5 VPN servers.
- Servers in London and Manchester (exact number unspecified)
- 1800 servers in 72 locations worldwide
- Supports top-security VPN protocols
- Unblocks Netflix US/UK and BBC iPlayer
- AES-256 encryption
- Works in China and other countries
FastestVPN ticks all the right boxes for encryption, device support, security protocols, and additional features. They haven’t disclosed the number of servers in 31+ countries, but Great Britain is one of them. Don’t let the fact that it’s lesser-known and not the fastest VPN around, deter you.
FastestVPN optimized each server for minimal speed loss and latency increase, making 4K streaming and P2P transfer possible. It’s very fast and extremely cheap – under a dollar per month for the 3-year plan. The provider also supports 10 VPN connections at the same time, server hopping, and gaining access to the Netflix US catalog.
- Servers in 31+ countries, including Great Britain
- Optimized for minimal speed loss and low latency
- 4K streaming and P2P transfer support
- Very affordable pricing
- 10 simultaneous VPN connections
- Server hopping and access to Netflix US catalog