ExpressVPN is a VPN provider from the British Virgin Islands that offers a 30-day money-back guarantee. Unlike many services worldwide and some VPN services in the industry, this is not a gimmick or a marketing ploy. You have exactly 30 days from the moment you buy a VPN to request a refund. And, surprisingly, you’ll get it quickly and unconditionally, within a few days. We’re serious; while they might ask for feedback, the Customer Service representative won’t try to change your mind. With that said, let’s get into how to get a refund for ExpressVPN.
ExpressVPN refund: Quick facts
- Refund Period: Usually, you have 30 days from the subscription purchase date.
- Cancellation: You must cancel your subscription within the first 30 days.
- Reason: Specific reasons for refund might not be required.
- Payment Method: Refunds are typically issued to the original payment method.
- Location: Refund policies can vary based on your location.
How to Get ExpressVPN subscription refunded directly
Purchased ExpressVPN in any way except through the Apple Store or Google Play Store? You can use both of the sub-methods we mentioned under method 1 of canceling ExpressVPN subscription. However, there are a few key differences:
Under step 2, you must explicitly tell the Customer Service representative something along the lines of “Hello, I would like to request a refund on my ExpressVPN subscription”. The representative will ask you a few questions, namely the e-mail address you used to sign up to check whether you qualify. They might ask for an explanation on how the ExpressVPN service has failed you but you don’t have to answer. After they issue a refund, you’ll have to wait for 5 to 7 business days for the money to arrive. You’ll get an e-mail confirmation once it arrives at your financial service/bank account.
Tip. If you used a financial service such as PayPal, you might get your money back within 3 days.
The process is identical, except that under step 3, you should use the sentence we mentioned above instead. You’ll get a response in 5 to 15 minutes too, and the representative will ask you to confirm whether the e-mail address used for contact is the same as the one for the ExpressVPN subscription. The same waiting period and e-mail confirmation apply here as well.
Refund ExpressVPN app purchase on Apple App Store
ExpressVPN for Mac or iOS purchased through the Apple App Store is not part of the 30-day money-refund guarantee. Instead, refunds are given entirely at Apple’s discretion. So, follow these steps to request an ExpressVPN refund request from Apple:
- Head on over to reportaproblem.apple.com.
- Log in with your Apple ID and password.
- Find ExpressVPN on the list, then click/tap on the Report or Report a Problem button.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to submit a request. Mention the 30-day period ExpressVPN offers, even though Apple isn’t obligated to respect it.
- Apple promises you’ll get a response within 48 hours, positive or negative.
- If they side with you, the time it takes for the money to appear depends on how you paid for ExpressVPN:
- Store credit. You’ll receive the money within 48 hours.
- Mobile phone billing. The funds will take up to 60 days to appear, depending on your carrier.
- Other payment methods. The refund will appear on your account or statement within 30 days.
Steps to Get a refund for ExpressVPN on Google Play Store
If you purchased ExpressVPN through the Google Play Store, and less than 48 hours have passed, you can ask for a refund like this:
- Visit play.google.com/store/account (computer) or play.google.com (Android) and sign in.
- Click on Order History (computer) or open the hamburger menu, then go to Account > Purchase History (Android).
- Select ExpressVPN from the list.
- Select either Request a refund or Report a problem.
- Complete the form and mention that ExpressVPN has a 30-day money return policy.
- You’ll get a “Thank you for sharing your concerns.” message.
- Wait for a decision for between 1 and 4 business days. You’ll receive an e-mail response to your Gmail account.
Things to note
Unlike Apple, Google lets app developers issue refund requests. So, if between 48 hours to 30 days have passed after the purchase, you might as well use method 1. Also, like with Apple Store, the time for the refund to arrive depends on how you paid:
- Google Pay/Google Play balance. Up to 1 business day.
- Credit or debit card. Between 3 and 5 business days.
- Online bank. Between 1 to 10 business days.
- PayPal. From 3 to 5 business days.
- Mobile carrier billing. 1 to 30 business days (prepaid/PAYG) or 1-2 months (postpaid).