You’re thinking of adding Hola VPN in Chrome? Great choice. Many have praised the extension for being transparent and cross-platform. It works on plenty of browsers, devices, and platforms. That includes main ones such as Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Opera, Android, iOS, Windows, macOS, and even PlayStation, Xbox, and routers. With that, your entire network of devices is protected and your browsing habits and identity remain hidden. And best of all – it’s absolutely free! What more could you want?
Hola VPN: Brief Introduction
Hola VPN, unlike its name, is not a traditional VPN per se. In fact, it is a peer-to-peer sharing network that utilizes other connected resources/devices as nodes to help users bypass geo-restrictions. It was launched in 2012 and is located in Israel. On its official site, Hola claims to have over 299 million members and is accessible from almost 190 countries. The service provider also boasts about the free plan that allows users to access the Hola network without paying a single cent.
Despite all this, Hola isn’t exactly a safe VPN to use, and it is not only because it’s free. While its ties to Israel do raise concerns, the country itself isn’t a part of the Eyes alliance, albeit it collaborates with them actively. But there are several red flags in the policies.
One can’t overlook the fact that Hola VPN enjoys immense popularity, and it is actually a much-favored tool when it comes to IP address altering. It also enjoys a rating of 4.9 on the Google Chrome Store. However, several tests and reviews have found the VPN unsafe for practical use. The provider itself acknowledges that it is using a member’s resources when connected to the Hola network. And these resources include IP addresses and bandwidth.
HolaVPN Chrome Extension Features
- Free VPN service for Chrome browser
- Fast and reliable connection speeds
- Unlimited access to websites and their content
- Easy-to-use interface with one-click activation
- You can choose from a wide range of virtual locations worldwide
- Encrypts your internet connection for enhanced privacy and security
- Easily bypass geo-restrictions and access blocked websites
- No logs policy for anonymous browsing
- Automatic VPN connection for selected websites
- Integrated ad blocker for a cleaner browsing experience
- Option to disable VPN for specific websites or apps
- Compatible with popular streaming platforms
- Available in multiple languages
Steps To add and use Hola VPN in Chrome
How does Hola VPN remain free?
It’s an extension that relies on community efforts. Basically, users contribute their own IP address to be used as a VPN, and in return, they get access to someone else’s IP address for a time. That gives you a chance to unblock Netflix, Hulu, HBO Max, and bypass website restrictions set by your ISP. But, it’s far from the security and power premium VPN providers offer.
How to install Hola VPN extension for Chrome
- Head on over to Hola for Chrome.
- Click on Add to Chrome in the top right corner.
- When prompted, click on Add extension.
- That’s it! You don’t need to register an account to use it.
Steps to use Hola VPN Chrome extension
- Find the Hola VPN icon in the top right corner and click on it.If you have too many extensions, click on the puzzle piece. Then, from the drop-down list of extensions, choose Hola VPN.
- If you don’t want to connect to the currently selected country, click on the filled triangle (▼) next to the flag.
- Choose a country from the drop-down list.
- Either click on the flag of the country, or on Unblock in the top left corner.
Do I need to buy Hola VPN Premium extension?
If all you need is to unblock a certain website or access country-specific content, you’re fine with the free VPN service. But, if you want maximum VPN speeds, access to dedicated servers, encryption, and much better security, you might consider it. It’s certainly cheaper buying a premium VPN like ExpressVPN, although significantly inferior.